Steps for Protection of Inheritance Rights of Women in Punjab - Definite Share of Women in Inheritence
- To ensure the share of women in inheritence, distribution of property has been held mandatory after sanctioning mutation of inheritance [S.135-A, 142-A Land Revenue Act]
- It is mandatory to produce the NIC and Form B of the deceased and all his legal heirs including women, before the revenue officer for the transfer of property.
- In case the legal heirs do not reach upon a consensus in 30 days, the concerned revenue officer will himself conduct partition of property among legal heirs according to law.
- It is mandatory for the revenue officer to decide the matter of inheritance within 6 months.
- The registration fee of mutation with respect to transfer of inherited property of women has been abolished.
- District Enformence of Inheriance Rights Committee has been established in every district to address and redress the grievance.
- Revenue staff is liable to be punished for negligence.
- Legal heirs can approach the concerned District Collector/DCO in case of complaint.